Welcome to Japan. We are pleased that you have chosen Japan as a training country for your internship and also happy to have you as a trainee here.

We have tried our best to provide you with excellent training at great companies and institutions, and we so hope you will get valuable experience in Japan and your training will be fruitful and successful.

All information you need to start training in Japan is on this web site. Please read it carefully and get ready to come to Japan. Details regarding summer reception programmers (called “Summer Program”) will  be updated on the [Facebook for trainees in Japan]. For further information, do not hesitate to contact us .

We are looking forward to meeting you here in Japan very soon.

Best wishes,

Before Coming

  • VISA

Some trainees need to obtain a visa to enter Japan. Please read this section carefully.

1. Trainee whose stay is less than 90 days

No Visa (nationals of countries with Reciprocal Visa Exemption Arrangements with Japan)

A trainee who meets the above requirements can enter Japan without a visa as long as the purpose of her/his stay is an internship. We will issue an “Introduction Card To Japan” for you. You should keep the original copy to show immigration officers upon arrival in Japan.
Please do not forget to show it to the officers at the airport. For a list of countries that have a “visa waiver program” with Japan, please refer to the following link:

Temporary Stay Visa(nationals of countries WITHOUT Reciprocal Visa Exemption Arrangements with Japan)

A trainee in this category (nationals of countries other than those listed above) needs a “Temporary Stay” visa as long as the purpose of her/his stay is an internship. Once s/he has been accepted by the employer , we will send you hard copy of required documents to apply for visa by post. Once you receive it , please go to the Japanese embassy in your country as early as possible.(Try to apply for a visa at least 4 weeks prior to your arrival in Japan) Please be reminded that some countries might take longer than 4 weeks to obtain a “Temporary Visa” such as China, Russia, Africa, Middle East and former USSR countries.

2. Trainee whose stay is longer than 90 days

Cultural Activity Visa

A trainee whose stay is longer than 90 days needs to obtain a “Cultural Activity” visa before entering Japan. We will apply for a Certificate of Eligibility to the Immigration Bureau  in Tokyo, and it is usually issued approx. 6 to 8 weeks after submitting all necessary papers to the Immigration Bureau.

Once you have been accepted by the employer , please send us required documents for us to apply for your Certificate of Eligibility .

Requirements to be sent to IAESTE JAPAN : Hard copies of Certificate of enrollment , Recommendation letter form your University and  Passport size of your Photo by post as early as possible .
We will then send you a Certificate of Eligibility as soon as it is issued. Please go to the Japanese Embassy in your country with this “Certificate of Eligibility” to apply for the visa. Please note that Japanese embassies will NOT accept your visa application without a Certificate of Eligibility.


For nationals of some countries with visa exemptions permitting stays of up to 6 months under the bilateral visa exemption arrangements, those who wish to stay in Japan for more than 90 days are required to apply for an extension of the period of stay to the Ministry of Justice (Regional Immigration Bureau) before the period of permitted stay is to expire.

Please refer to [Note 8] in the website
  • Insurance

Trainees MUST obtain their own insurance prior to coming to Japan.
Trainees will be responsible for individual arrangements regarding payment and reimbursement from their insurance company in the event of injury, illness, liability, or rescuer expenses.


Please do not forget to send us A COPY OF CERTIFICATE OF INSURANCE written in English, showing items of coverage and a limit of indemnity with your insurance policy number. This certificate should be submitted when you return your acceptance notes(N5b) through your National IAESTE committee.
Please remember that the employer is allowed to cancel the offer if your insurance coverage does not match or exceed our given amounts. The procedure of payment and reimbursement varies from company to company. Companies cannot pay you when you are requested to pay at hospital or other emergency institutions. Please read your insurance policy carefully.
In case your insurance company cannot pay you on the event of illness, injuries or securer operation, you need to prepare and bring money to cover temporal expenses. Your employer and IAESTE Japan will not advance the cost of care.
To give an idea how much you may bring, a trainee who had a stomachache paid about 20,000 JPY to see a doctor. When you cannot find an insurance that meets the minimum amounts above, we suggest you to arrange more than one insurance so as to reach the minimum.If you really cannot arrange an insurance that meets our minimum requirements, please let us know.

  • Lodging

Do not forget to arrange accommodation for your stay before/after your training period (written on your acceptance notes (N5a)) by yourself. If you need a help in finding where to stay, how to get to the place you booked, and so on, please ask your Contact-Person (CP). CP is our student volunteer who will help you in many ways during your stay in Japan. S/he will contact you by E-mail before you leave for Japan. If you are not contacted by CP 10 days before your departure, please let us know.

Please check the “Accomodation” section written on your offer form.

“Lodging will be arranged by EMPLOYER” on the offer form

  1. ) Estimate cost of lodging  0 JPY/month:   Your employer will pay the rent fee for during your training period plus one day before and after . Employers usually arrange company dormitories, weekly apartments, hotels/hostels, or shared house after they inform us of trainees’ acceptance, and therefore, please do not make an inquiry about the accommodation before receiving your acceptance notes(N5a/b). They usually have rules about staying in company dormitories/weekly apartments. Those rules should strictly be respected, please follow them. (If you will stay at your company’s dormitory, you might need to share the bathroom with your mates. If you need detailed information about your accommodation, please ask your employer after your acceptance is confirmed.)
  2. ) Estimate cost of lodging indicates  **,***JPY/month : Trainee have to  pay lodging fee around **,***/month by your own.

“Lodging will be arranged by TRAINEE” on the offer form

You have to arrange accommodation by yourself. Please contact us as soon as you receive acceptance notes (N5a/b) if you need some help .  IAESTE JAPAN will help you to arrange      accommodation near the work place.

“Lodging will be arranged by “IAESTE JAPAN” on the offer form

IAESTE JAPAN arrange your lodging (shared house) near your work place . Lodging cost will be paid by the employer.

*We suggest you to bring pocket money for train fee to attend several summer events organized by Tokyo student local committee.

Life in Japan You’d better skim through following Link before coming to Japan. You can get some vital information.



If you have any questions about life in Japan, or if you have any problems, please refer to this.